Saturday, August 5, 2017

Down Came the Rain and did not Wash Us out!




     What a night we had. My hubby looked at the weather as we were going to bed last night on his phone. All day he claimed we were not going to have any rain because they had been predicting it over the last several day and nothing came. Well not the case, even as he said it looked like much of the storms were breaking up before they got to us. I knew how Lady was not going into the barn with her babies. I didn’t want them to be left in the rain just in case. He went to the barn to see if she had gone in and she had not. I had already climbed into bed too. I got a call from him to say it was sprinkling and that Jacob was out of his pen again. I told him to put him in the pen with the male pigs. I got dressed to go help. He gathered the dogs in and we went to see how and with what we could keep her and her babies in the barn and make sure the other girls also had a place to get out of the rain. We had lost the little piglet with the punctures over the night before and I cannot lose any more. Needless to say by the time it was all said and done, I ended up soaked to the bone in the process and it was lightening and thundering like crazy too and everyone knows I am scared to death of storms.

      I have the greatest love for all my babies and I don’t know how many times in the middle of the night I have gone to the barn to check on everyone in the middle of a storm by myself. I guess that is my motherly instinct coming out in me. After all they are all my children now that we are empty-nesters. I got up early this morning to make sure all were alright. Oh yes, Jacob is now rooming in with the male pigs and he told me he hated it, but since he keeps wriggling his little self out of the goat pen with Chloe, he gets what he gets. I am so glad that everyone stayed safe and dry last night. 

     I was thankful this was not on a school night. Even though I was exhausted anyways I knew it would work out and I could rest up today. I don’t know what I would do without my farm. Even when crazy things happen, I feel a sense of relief and gratitude when I am caring for my babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment