Wednesday, July 26, 2017

More Escapes and Making Fodder




     Since we have brought Jacob (the goat) to our farm he has mastered the escaping from the pen. We went out to feed everyone today and he was waiting for us in the yard. He knocked the feed for the pig’s right out of Pop’s hand. I got him back in the pen. He is very easy to get back in as he must have been escaping at his old place too. Just a shake of the feed can and in he goes. Went back into the house and a little while later Pop told us he was out again. I had to go and see where he was getting out. At first, I thought he had squeezed out of the gate. I had tied the bottom of the gate with wire, but the second time it couldn’t have been it. We inspected the pen again and found where we thought he got out. I wired it up too. I just checked on him when I went to get eggs (two more today!) He was still in his pen.

    
     I have been researching how to make fodder for my chickens. I have some rye and wheat berries soaking now. If this brings my feed bill down I will continue to grow it. I know how the chickens love it. I love the link I posted earlier on how to grow it in 5 gallon buckets. But for right now I have just a small jar to see if they will sprout. I might have to buy some more seeds because I use these for bread and keep them in frig.I have been saving all my egg shells for my girls too it is the best way to give them back there calcium. I feed them peanuts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment