Thursday, August 10, 2023

Birds of a Feather

      Have you ever sat somewhere and just listened to the birds? I find myself doing that on a regular basis here since we live right on the water and so many different species consider the creek as their home. 

     There are days when I can identify 20 or more birds by their cheerful calls to one another. For instance I love to here my little cardinal family chatter all about the yard every day. There are several pairs and I have seen their offspring . I love to feed them. 

     We have many Great Egrets and Blue Herion that live in the swamp grass among the lilypads. Here in the last month or so I have heard their babies too. I would love to see them swimming around but they are pretty well hidden on the creek. 

     Early in the spring we had several. Canadian Geese and Wood ducks out there. They are some very loud birds too and they honk all hours of the night and day if there are predators around. 



     I love to hear the owls and the woodpeckers. We have several different kinds of them out here too. Many Piliated wood peckers live in our woods and some of the smaller ones too. I call them my jungle birds as they sound pretty crazy calling to each other. We also hear and see a lot of hawks calling to one another. 

     We used to raise parrots of all kinds when we first moved to GA but my only bird I have left is my parakeet and she loves to sound off to all the birds in the area. I guess I am still like a wild bird at heart because they all still fascinate me. 


 There are so many different kinds of birds here from very small to cormorant size I love to record them using the Merlin app. Then I know what I am really hearing. I saw my very 1st hummer the other day this year and oh what a joy that was as they are one of my favorites of all. I love that birds of a feather do flock together.

No comments:

Post a Comment