Thursday, August 17, 2023

Garden Duties Today



     A month ago we went to help my son move many truckloads of dirt that was in the clients drive that the city refused to pick up. Due to the fact it was not close enough to the road as they would have liked they refused. Hence the need to move it was now a problem for my son. Three loads went off to the local landfill and one truckload and a trailerful came home with us.

     My raised bed garden are needing more dirt so today is my day to start the unloading as it may from truck to garden. We bought two black mesh garden bags to start out with, which are no more than 4 feet across. We also have these huge recycle circular bags that are about eight feet across that the dirt was in. Three of them to be exact. Perfect for building a very nice size raised bed garden.

     The two smaller ones are placed in the middle of the citrus trees directly out front of the house. I want to build a picket fence around it with chicken wire at base to keep the rabbits out. They picked off my tomato plants I planted along the fence and porch walkway this year not sure if the other few I have in pots will be safe out there yet but we will see.

     The fall garden will find a new home out there instead of being in pots. I tried to fill the one bag but it still needs more dirt. I had some cabbage, peppers and tomatoes planted in it, but it just didn't have enough to hold edges up and some plants died from heat.  I do have a few eggplants and a watermelon plant that made it. I think adding enough to the top edge of the bag will help. When I did it at the start, I ran out of bags of potting soil and money in my budget for that month. Always something !!!!

 


 
 Loading it up won't be too much. Now on the other hand, shoveling the dirt out of the truck is more manual labor I can do for the moment as the hottest part of the day is here and the fact that I put icy hot on my back last night after I tried to shoo the cat off our bed before she yacked on it, twisting me the wrong way. Ouch! I did manage to plant the few tomato plants and a few more pepper plants in the first one. The second one will have to get finished tomorrow. Then I can plant all my fall plants in the other. I may have to put up a cold frame around the tomato, pepper one if they take off and grow but it gets colder before they produce! 

No comments:

Post a Comment