Thursday, February 13, 2020

Alternative Remedies: Do you find it Useful?


Alternative Remedies: Do you find it Useful?
Peppermint from mu garden

     For as long as I can remember I have looked to natural ways to treat a lot of my ailments and pains.  I can remember when I was younger using honey and lemon to help break up that cough that came with my Asthma. My grandmother gave us ginger ale or sprite when we had an upset stomach. Or the time my Cousin cured me from my warts with some crazy dirty rag she whipped over them. Do you have those kinds of remedies that you have used in your life time that you still use today? Do you think that most of them are old wives tales? I bet we can all add to that list.

Will you pick your poison or something safe?

      I know that having an autoimmune disorder I have resorted to a lot of these things. I love sharing my remedies with family, but I would never claim to be some kind of a healer by no means. Now days I have added Chinese Medicine to my arsenal and essential oils and all natural remedies made from the food we eat every day. There are so many alternatives that folks can choose from. So many have chosen to get back to them because there are so many drugs out there that have side effects that you could end up dying from them and not the problem it is to help prevent as far as I can tell. Not don’t get me wrong there are some things we have to live with, even myself.
I have studied many different treatments and the best things that I have used would have to be acupuncture or acupressure that the Chinese have used for thousands of years. I have visited a few in my time and I would have had my gallbladder taken out if I would have gone with just what my medical doctor told me. It is fascinating how a few needles and some nasty bunch of herbs can do for you. Needless to say I saved my gallbladder and even learned how to prevent the recurrence of an attack. I have used cupping to take away the pain in my back too. I have my own set of cups. I have learned a lot from Chinese medicine over the years. I have even become certified in acupressure. I also use reflexology some nights on my feet to get a good night sleep. Feet cover the whole body when massaged. I even have a chair massager and I love it!

These are only a few of my large  alternative library


     I have used herbal remedies for so many things too. I drink a lot of teas these days for many different reason; sleep, allergies, cough and so much more. I love to grow my own herbs too. I use my herbs in my homemade soap too. Using herbs and essential oils can be used together. I grow my own ginger and turmeric, dry, and  grind them to keep them on hand at all times. I love drinking golden milk and herbal tea.

     I have had problems taking any kind of antibiotic in the past and refuse to now try a new one because when I had back surgery they gave me some antibiotic and I had a reaction for almost a month, I just wanted to rip my skin off because it itched from the inside out. I am a firm believer in Colloidal Silver for my antibiotic. Some people think it is crazy and claim you will turn blue from it but it isn’t like I drink gallons of it. We even have a silver generator to make our own, because I have been using it long before the stores started to sell it. And no one should be without Elderberry Syrup for the flu season.


     I make a great pain reliever for topical ouchies. I don’t know what I would do without it. I use it for my aching knee before bed to keep the pain at bay. My hubby can tell you it is wonderful after he dropped a log on his foot. He rolled it on and never had a bruise from it and it didn’t hurt the next day. I gave it to a teacher I worked with that had broken her toe and she thought I was crazy. She couldn’t even wear a shoe. When she finally rolled it on, she could wear shoes again the very next day. She said my cockamamie stuff really worked. Well yeah I know my Arnica Salve works!  

Some of my oils and a roll up of Arnica

     I know that most folks think this stuff is crazy but I will continue to use them. I know I said in an earlier post that I make soap* and it is one of those things that works too. I have saved myself from wrinkles for a while now and it just makes sense, if it works…

     Here is my Arnica salve recipe for those who have aches and pains

You can buy arnica flowers on line in an herbal shop or you can buy them at your friendly Mexican grocer. I always keep a jar on hand because my kids use it too.
In a small saucepan place about a cup of arnica flowers. Pour olive oil over it to cover just a bit. On low heat simmer for a few hours. Cool and strain off the flowers. Add two tablespoons of beeswax and the oil into an old glass jar with coconut oil enough to fill a tin or I recycle my deodorant roll ups for this. Heat the oil and wax in the microwave until it is melts. Be careful not to burn yourself, use a hot pad.  Add a capsule or two of vitamin E to the mixture, and add the oil from the arnica to it. If you feel brave add some capsicum to it but be careful not to add too much, a little is better. Pour into the roll up or into your tin and cool in refrigerator.

      There are so many remedies and natural alternatives out there but don’t take my word for it read up and see what others say and check with your doctor if you are on medicines there are things that can have ill effects with some. I know there are things that are just wives tales out there so make sure before you try them.

     Quote of the day:

“To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival.” Wendell Berry

Scripture of the day:

Weather today:
 "If I see another day of rain this month it will be too soon!!!" Just Me









No comments:

Post a Comment