Thursday, February 27, 2020

Wisteria a Beauty or Beast


Wisteria a Beauty or Beast



     When I lived in Ohio I had the most beautiful trellis of wisteria and I cut it back to keep it from getting too out of control. It smelled so good too. The pretty purple flowers made such grapelike cluster of flowers.  Here in Georgia it is a vine that grows like crazy and covers trees and landscapes all up and down the highways. I thought it was still so beautiful. Now that it grows on my property I tend to not like it so much. Over the last few years that I had worked during the late winter, early spring months I have not been able to keep up with it. I started to make a wisteria tree but it didn’t get cut back and it is all over the front yard. I use to keep it contained by making wreaths and baskets with it just to control it. It is all over my back yard too.

Creeping Crazy Benefit?

     I have spent a whole day cutting and pulling vines from my driveway. It was a backbreaking job and I didn’t even make a dent in it. I piled up vines and every time I thought I had cleared it out a whole bunch more was buried under the leaves I raked. I do have a plan for all this madness. I will be putting it into pots and getting it ready for my greenhouse area so we can sell it. This along with a few other things that grow up here on my hill in abundance will be dug up and repotted, and this will be a good start to our nursery.

     This will be part of our bread and butter. No sense in letting it be something we just discard into a compost pile or burned in a burn pile. It will end up being a money maker. I know I can never run out of this vine because it is like kudzu it grows like crazy. I see at most garden supply places they sell it so I know I can do it too. I may have my work cut out for me but in the long run I think it will pay off.

     So if you have something that you have an overabundance of in your yard you too can possibly make a few dollars sharing it with others. It may surprise you who may have wished to have that specific plant that you have in your yard. Don’t look at it as a nuisance but a way to create an income. This can work for bulbs that you have planted that have taken over the flower bed and just needs to be divided up or even herbs like mints that have spread beyond its boundaries. Maybe you planted too many of something and in the end you were overwhelmed with the outcome. A farmer’s market on Saturday will help there. You never know till you try.  As a homesteader I am always looking for ways to make money and this was a no brainer. You just have to think outside the box.

     Quote of the day:
"Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn

     Scripture of the day:
Matt. 24:45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?




No comments:

Post a Comment