Monday, February 17, 2020


Winter Blues


     I don’t know about you but winter really depresses me. I want to feel the warmth of the sun again and have longer days. Did you know that it is a disorder? Seasonal Affective Disorder or (SAD) is a type of depression that is related to changes in seasons, and it starts and ends at the same time each year. These symptoms start at the end of fall and goes through winter for most of us. Sapping energy and creating a sense of moody feeling. But there are folks who suffer from it in the spring through summer also. SAD

SAD
     Some of the symptoms you may have from this disorder could be mood shifts, over eating with weight gain, over sleeping and all around just plain down for those who suffer the winter blues. It is just the opposite for those suffering from spring and summer blues. Anxiety plays a big part in both. I for one have the winter blues every year. It is so hard to deal with too. I want to stay in bed and when I do get up I just want to go to my office and hang out all by myself. I just can’t seem to get much done. I some people it gets so bad that they even consider suicide. But don’t lose hope there are some things that you can do to help get it under control.

     First and foremost you should talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. Sunlight is a great way to help, get outside as much as you can on those sunny day despite how cold it may be. Go for a walk or do some winter sports with your kids such as ice skating, skiing or sledding for those who have the colder weather.  Find a way to just get out in the sun it can help raise your serotonin levels, something we lack in the winter months. Maybe you can try light therapy. Buy a light box that you can use indoors and suck up the light a few times a day. This is helpful in regulating the release of melatonin. Next try to get in that exercise not only will it help you mood but will ward off that extra weight. It helps raise the serotonin and endorphins which both have effect on moods. For those folks that suffer far greater than others you may have to ask for medication to deal with it. But hopefully you can cope with the prior before it comes to that.

     Some other things to think about in those winter months is keeping a regular sleep pattern as to not change your circadian rhythms. Try to eat your three meals a day at a set schedule. Try not to over indulge in sweets and high carbs and add healthier fruits and vegetables to your meals. Visit with your friends and family and even set time for yourself to pamper yourself. Helping the blues can help you out with even more information on how to beat the blues.

      If you feel like the winter blues has got you maybe these points can help solve your problems. I know this information has definitely helped me. We are getting so close to having our spring weather back and longer days. I know winter is the worst time of the year for me and I can say it truly does start in the fall here. I am going to treat myself to a walk to catch some of that wonderful sunshine we are having right now before it rains again! My office has now windows!

     Quote of the day:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away” Jimmie Davis

Scripture of the day:

Wisdom is the most important thing, so acquire wisdom.Prov. 4:7.












No comments:

Post a Comment