Saturday, February 1, 2020

Do Folks Read these days?

Do Folks Read these days?


Photo by Sally Dunn

     When was the last time you sat down to read a good book or did some research on something you were getting ready to do? I wonder if many of us even read at all anymore. Sure you pick and choose what little things you read on Facebook but most of it is just short and cute for the most part. I am talking about more than a few words. So many of us seem to want to take a glimpse of something and move on.

     When was the last time you thought about taking a trip? Did you plan it out or did you just get in the car and go? I doubt many do this, but I bet there are a few who do. I would hope you checked hotel prices, restaurants in the area you were wanting to go and sites to see when you were there. Yeah, and you might check that bank account and car to see if they would make it too.
Well that is what I do when I sit down and write my blogs. I research when I need to and make sure I have something that I have a passion to write about, because if I wrote about something that I cared less about it would be a pretty dull read.  I would hope that my readers like what I write and tell others.

     Reading to me is one of those things I could never figure out as a kid. See I was a poor reader. But as time went by I found that reading took me places I couldn’t have gone to even if there was such a place. Now I love to read and I even love to research. I found that out in college.

      It is sad though that most kids in high school never read a book and choose not to. They think it is boring. I think it is because they haven’t got an attention span to sit long enough to even get through the first paragraph. Reading is one of the most important things you can do in life. Reading a direction on how to put something together or a recipe it doesn’t matter because if you didn’t read the instructions you are bound to fail. I sure wouldn’t let someone just willy nilly work on my car. I would hope the person read manuals and researched the problem many times before, at least before they dove into fixing it.

     I have learned so much in life just by reading. But that is not where I stop, I take notes and research some more. I study the stuff I really want to learn so I can do it right when needed, like CPR. Wow now that is a life saver! I love to compare other people’s stuff too, you never know what kind of perspective they may have to offer that someone else may only see in their way. You may find that one thing you needed was right there all the time and you just didn’t see it in that light.

     I know folks don’t read as much as they use to because there are too many other things that take its place.  TV, You Tube games etc. Don’t get me wrong I do those things too but in moderation. I have to make time for reading the Bible every day and studying my lessons for my meetings and even sitting down to write a blog not many read.  I find that time to be creative too. But I do it I make plans to do these thing along with all the farm work and house works I do every day. Sometimes I feel that there is enough time in the day to get it all done but if I don’t follow through who will do it for me? I just put the most important thins on the top of my list.

     Facebook has taken a back burner yet I post my blog there and my scriptures every day and check to see what my kids are up too. I do hope that some of you find your way to my blog because I do put much thought into what I write. And I do it daily or at least I try too. To me reading and writing keeps me sharp and now a days we all need that!

     So maybe you might find a good story or two to read or even a great book to enjoy in your quiet time. I love to read mysteries. I always try to figure them out way before the ending and sometimes I am quite good at it too.  It never hurts to learn something new like herbalism or how to cook some far away dish. Try it someday. Enjoy life and share your thoughts on what you learn.

Quote of the day:

“The future belongs to those who learn more skills and combine them in creative ways.”
― Robert Greene
Scripture of the day:

Matt. 24:45 “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?

No comments:

Post a Comment