Thursday, January 2, 2020

B day Being Prepared Up on the Farm


B day

Being Prepared Up on the Farm

     This year I want to be prepared and have a systematic way of doing things, like budgeting, being on top of things, simplifying, minimalizing and being a bit smarter. I have been reading a lot of books on how to help us with this here on the farm. I am not a prepper per say in the way most folks plan for Armageddon, I just want to be more organized this year.

     Planning gardens and raising animals on the farm can be a bit daunting, especially as we get older and things are not just as easy as they once were. January is a great month to get started with plans of what we are going to do. You know all those things we may have got done last year but were derailed somehow. Or maybe starting a greenhouse business.

     Since I am no longer working I have to set time to find a new job, one that accommodates not only the farm but my field service, yet pays the bills too. Now that takes some major planning there. First thing every morning I look at the jobs that might fit my criteria. That is a hard one because I already have the farm job that will been a huge undertaking again since my hubby has been working it mostly by himself for the last several years as I worked. I want to work in a place where it will not only help with the monetary things but also help with the farm. We have flip-flopped our job descriptions a few years back and now I want to get back to farming but not by myself. Really we can use all the help we can get.

     We have so many things to do here on the farm and I always seem to add to the list. Fences are one of the things that is top of the list right now. We have new piglets arriving soon and the pen is not the pen we once had. we need repairs there as well so getting the fences in the pasture ready will give us the chance to do repairs on the barn and the pens around it. We also have a few pigs that need to be processed and that is a couple  whole days job and then some.

     I have saved seeds and set them aside for this year’s garden and that will be a huge job to get ready. I want to have all my seeds started in advance that need to be started now. For spring planting that means that I have to find a place to store them. This year I want to add more herbs for teas and soap.  we are going to be potting existing plants we have growing here to sell like blueberries, Carolina Jasmine, Forsythia and wisteria. We are going to start out small though no need to get too crazy.

     We are getting ready to make up a few batches of soap and I have already made up arnica and cayenne salves and lip balms and not just for us, but our children. They have found that the things that I make here on the farm benefits them in their lifestyles also. I just ordered my supplies for much of that. It never hurts to restock up the first aid kit right from the start.

     My list for being prepared seems endless, at least I have begun to get things started. I know we will still be pushing it for a lot of it but we have to always remember to take on day at a time and move ahead. Lots of prayers and hard work, time to study my bible, and get out in service always comes first and time to relax seems to fall in last but I have a plan and that is all I need to keep somewhat on track for this year. I just hope it doesn’t get derailed this year. I hope you have plans to start out the year on a better note from last year, Even if they are small that always counts.

     I just had a call from one of my boys and he needed advice on delivering puppies. now that is a whole other thing to plan for, the momma had two puppies and one* was alive and one was dead when he found them and he needed advice on what else to do because this is a big breed dog and she should have more than just two pups and it is not her first litter. I told him to put her in a calm area and sit with her to make sure she was ok and keep the one pup warm. We have whelped a many a pup and kitten in our day and birthed so many pigs and goats in our time, but sometimes things don’t always turn out as they were planned even if they should be able to birth on their own. Sometimes you might just have to intervene and sometimes even a vet needs to be part of the plan. All I can say is to sit and wait it out as long as the animal is not in pain or peril. Keep the vet in mind and hope for the best.   * The pup didn't make it and the momma is going to the vet. So sad and I am sorry this ended this way.

     Plans are always needed even when we don’t thing they are. always keep that in mind. But even best plans can change and go awry so it is good to have that back up just in case. The best laid plans need a great prayer system to go along with it because the grand creator is the best source of all planning since he created all things. We have to remember that it took more than one day to do it too, so don't over do it. Hope this year brings happiness to all who reads this and I ope your plans work out just as you would have them to.



No comments:

Post a Comment