Tuesday, January 21, 2020

S Day- Scrub –a- dub I have Soap in My Tub


S Day- Scrub –a- dub I have Soap in My Tub
This is my label for my soap. I found it one day and I love it! I just added color to it!
     Soap making has been one of those things that has been made here on the homestead since 1998. It all started with a book I bought a few years before that. I had been in a book club and bought this book thinking I would love to try making it someday. When we moved to Georgia we went to the Hiawassee Mountain fair with the kids and watched a lady make a batch in a big old cauldron pot. We talked about how hard the soap was and I told her my kids kill bars of soap in one bath every night. She told me once you make your own soap you would never go back to store bought soap and that homemade soap is so much harder than store bought too. Well to me that sounded like a no brainer.

     My hubby and I went looking for all our supplies and started to make soap not much longer after we went to the fair. She was so right It seemed to last far longer with the kids. My kids didn’t destroy it as fast anymore. We started to make more soap through the year, and we started to take it to different health food stores in the area. We had so many different kinds of soap that we made just to find out which of the recipes in the books worked the best.  We made fruit and veggie soaps, we saved all our fat and rendered it and suet for the homestead soap recipe and we used honey and oats and so many different kinds of herbs. We had soap drying all over the house. I guess that the time we started not many folks really wanted to try it, but as the years have gone by we see so many places that sell it and I see a lot of recipes for melt and pour soaps but I just feel like that is cheating because that is all you do is melt someone else’s Glycerin soap to make some you add stuff too. I wanted to have the pleasure of saying I did it all.

      I made so much soap over the years for my family and even used my daughter’s breast milk to make some for her. My kids love the way it feels and how it prevents skin problems like zits. I love it because after all these years I have very few wrinkles and I know it is due to making and using my soap. No chemicals that can damage my skin. That is the best thing.
Patchouli and Homestead soap

      My favorite soap and the one and only one I use is patchouli. I mix the leaves into the soap and put essential oils of patchouli in it to add the best scent ever, it is a great exfoliator and it is great for aging skin, which I sure believe.

      My Hubby love the homestead soap it is a very hard bar and uses a huge amount of lard. He does add a scent to it sometimes like cedar wood or sandalwood.

     My son wants Lavender and cedar wood for him and his girlfriend so as soon as it warms up a bit we are making him some. I think he is trying to impress her because I had to make him some bath bombs too. He and his twin brother are getting a care package with soap, lip balm and arnica salve and a silver generator.

      I am a firm believer that homemade is the best and I do think it is safer for even the youngest ones. Very gentle and soothes the worst of skin. I am so glad I bought the book and tried to do it on my own, but I love teaching myself things I thought were cool anyways. I love to create natural spa stuff for myself and family and that is the way we should always think about our families.
I have purchased many different books on soap making but this book I will show is the first and my number one go to for making my soap.

I have made shampoo bars and liquid laundry soap and liquid soap for the bath too. The more I can eliminate the bad chemicals like poly glycol (which is basically antifreeze which is just about everything from soap to shampoo to toothpaste) I didn’t think my babies needed that.
I will leave you with one recipe: Which soon I will tell you how to make. One batch or slab of soap makes about 30 bars of soap depending how you slice it.


The Quote for the day is


Let your light shine before men.​—Matt. 5:16.


No comments:

Post a Comment