Tuesday, January 28, 2020

X day-(sort of) Downs Syndrome, That extra Chromosome


X day-(sort of) Downs Syndrome, That extra Chromosome

     I want to talk about Downs Syndrome today because I have worked with some of the most amazing, kind and loveable children. These children have found a spot in my heart that brings me such happiness to be a part of their lives.
Here are a few things you may not know about Downs.^

1.  One in every 691 babies in the US alone have been diagnosed with downs and that is even before them are born. That is approximately 400000 children. Wow that 460000+ in 2019.*

2. Did you know that downs is not inherited? Well now you know.

3. The risk for having a downs child goes up with age.  1-2000 will be born to mothers in their 20’s , Mothers older than that upward to 40 have a ratio of 1-900 and many over the age of 49 will have a chance of 1-10, but the age range of downs fall between 35 and under for the most born.

4. Some of the other health issue that downs children experience are dry skin, double jointedness, and flat feet. Some of the  more serious diagnoses can be leukemia which can take three different forms: Acute Lymphocytic leukemia, Acute  myeloid Leukemia which affects 3% and lastly Transient myclophiliferative disorder , but most Downs children  will show symptoms of this a one month and can clear up without hospitalization.

5. The life expectancy or these children have increased over the last century as they may not have lived passed their tenth birthday and today they may well exceed 50 years of age.

Hunter My # 1 Buddy!
6. Some many of these children who have gone on to see college and universities in their education due to the changes for special provision designed programs. Many hold down jobs, found love and married and even had children that were not Downs but normal children. Today you can find children that have become models and actors and so much more. (One of my favorite is Ansel Cole Sibus on Stumptown)**. My # 1 kiddo is Hunter and he won my heart the very first day I ever met him. He graduates this year!

     Like I said I have worked with some amazing children. They have a big place in my heart too. So maybe you too can find a special friend to nurture and help soar to higher and better things for them too.

Today's quote 

 “Dad they think she has Down Syndrome." He smiled genuinely as his eyes welled up with tears. "That's okay. We love her.”
 Kelle Hampton, Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir
How can you not love this  Quote!

Scripture of the day. I know He will heal them all and make them whole.

 Rev 21 :3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

  :

I credit my information to ^ (Actbeat,2020), also *(Atlantaregional.org.2020) ** IMDb.com, Inc.1990-2020 

1 comment: