Friday, January 17, 2020

O Day- One, Looking for Serious Readers




 O Day- One, Looking for Serious Readers
     I have been blogging for a long time now and I have found that it is very discouraging to go check your stats only to find that no one has viewed your hard work or you have no followings or comments. I only ever wanted to share my writing to have some type of interaction with my readers. Some days subjects are harder than others to put together while creating a post. Some days it might not be anything you may want to read, but it does mean something to me or I might not find the need to write it. I love to share my experiences here on our farm.

     I have been doing some research and I hope this will help my readers to want to come back and read the next post. I am going to start incorporating more recipes of both food and soap, etc. and useful hints to make my page more reader friendly. I could give some great ideas for crafting with kids while homesteading. Sharing ideas on how much more growing your own food is better for you. There are so many things I could cover on my homestead life that you may want to know but didn’t think to ask about. All I ask of you is to follow me comment on things that concern you about what I write about and share it from time to time. I would love to have your input.
I thought I could get more people involved it I started an ABC blog to start out the year, I think it may have helped me a bit but still only one loyal follower and I thank her for that. I blog because I hope it will help someone who is looking for answers on how to start a farm or what happens when you have a birth on the farm, or just the crazy things that seem to happen while living on the farm.
     Homesteading is not just about farming, it is about surviving with the resources that you have and about the skills you may or may not have when you start your own homestead. Sometimes it is about dealing with death or natural disaster or just caring for the ones you love. There are lots of things I think of when I look at homesteading; creating things like artwork which can cover many things there too. Painting, refinishing old furniture, making beautiful art from old bits and pieces and even drawing. I have been a soap maker now for many years and reasons, one day I might cover some of these reasons. I love teaching others about all the great things that I have learned from things passed down to self-indulging myself to learn something new. I just want to know if you are interested enough to say wow or thanks.

     I would love to share my skills with folks that wants to know more. Soap making, crocheting, drawing, sewing or anything else that is included with crafts. Maybe I might post of video on how to clean a pig or chicken. Maybe teach you how to build a she shed out of pallets and scrape wood. Building a greenhouse out of old windows.  These are things I know and could tell you a lot about. I would love to learn more about building a root cellar or a smoke house. How many things I might just do here on the farm just to make things better and simpler in my life. I never know what I might write about from one day to the next but I would love to take you on that journey with me.

     One thing I know for sure I will keep on blogging about my farm and lifestyle and with or without followers I hope someone will read my posts. Maybe I can even inspire you to start your own blog just like I did for my daughter.

     One how to I will share with you before I go: How to make your own onion flakes or powder. If you are like me I use this staple every day the same with garlic or any spice for that matter.
Depending on what type of onion you like best finely slice them (one or two onions will create enough for a whole family). Using a dehydrator lay the onion slices around the trays avoiding overlap, plug in dehydrator. It doesn’t take long and you will know when it is done when you touch a piece and it crumbles. Depending on how you want to use it flake or powder you can use a grinder or just smash it a bit by hand. Place your freshly make onion powder in a mason jar and label it. You can even add some pink salt to it.  This should last you for a while. You can do this with garlic also. Just remember label, label, label! I just reuse my jars I had bought spices in from the store just to refill them.Oven version. Line pan with sliced onions and heat at 150 degrees until onion is dry.

     Now for the smell left in the dehydrator try dehydrating potatoes right after you dehydrate your onions. Potatoes always absorb the smell. Who knows it might end up being the p day post.
Happy dehydrating.






1 comment:

  1. You are very welcome.I would be glad to teach you how to make soap one of these days. It really isn't that hard.

    ReplyDelete