Friday, January 24, 2020

U Day – Use and Reuse


U Day – Use and Reuse

     How many times have we bought something used it and threw away the package instead of recycling it? I am sure many have and never thought twice about the effects it has on our planet. Here on the farm I separate my garbage. Cans and plastic bottles have a recycle bag each as our dump or scrap has a recycle bin for each one. I save all my plastic bags and plastic wrappers and send them back to the grocery store.  We save aluminum to recycle too. I reuse as much glass as possible. I refill them with beans, rice, and other dry goods that come in bags, paper or boxes. This assures me that I will not have bugs or mice get into them.  I have even been saving my plastic rotisserie chicken packages for  starting my garden. I have had friend save egg cartons for me to share and sell eggs with them. It is always nice to share especially when are chickens have done a great job over this winter supplying us eggs. I also recycle things to create miniature stuff I never know what I might need to create something cool for that. I save all my deodorant containers for making salve. They work perfectly as you can roll them up as needed. I save medicine bottles too to save seeds in.

     There are many things that can be recycled like: toilet paper rolls. They can be reused for fire starters and seed starters. We have even used them for art projects for the kids. Magazines are a great thing to recycle too, pass them onto schools or thrift stores. I have a project bowl that I keep old wine corks for, I don’t drink, but my father-in-law bought them for me to use in art projects. I have made a few things from them. A heart trinket and a serving tray. I still have a lot left but one day I will use them. My cats love to use them for toys. I sometimes use old jeans to make comforters and pillows even lawn chair covers and placemats.  I even recovered a couch in jeans once.Tee shirt  for making rag rugs.  I love collecting flat glass to do my faux stained glass on. I have even found a tram to paint on.  You never know what things could end up being. If you just think about it . Me, I am always looking for cool things to make in my art work.

     We recycle all our leftovers to the pigs they love that, but I have found there are some foods that they refuse to eat and I put them in the worm compost. We even have a load of metal to be recycles such as refrigerator and stove that will be going to scrap for money in our pocket. That is where or tin cans and aluminum go too. I even recycle tree branches if I can find nicely shaped ones, they make great curtain rods or even furniture, but most of them end up in our wood burner. I have a stack of pallets I use for furniture, I made a nice swing and we have even used then to build a garage and barn. I want to make me a she shed from the ones I have now.

      I hope I have given you a few ideas on how to use or reuse stuff. There are many ways you can use and reuse things and cut down on your foot print. I hope you too find uses for things around your house to help. Even furniture can be recycled to another family in need or you can paint wooden furniture to upgrade to a new look. You just have to be resourceful. You never know hat used things can do. 

                                         Here is my quote for the day and my scripture.


 Rev. 2:7 Let the one who has an ear hear what the spirit says to the congregations: To the one who conquers  I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’




No comments:

Post a Comment