Tuesday, January 14, 2020

K Day -Kindling


K Day- Kindling

    We have had our share of rain and storms here on the farm and many tree branches have come down in the yard because of it. When the rain finally stops I will have to get busy collecting all the branches to use as kindling for the wood stove. We heat our house mostly with wood here and a few oil radiators. I have been keeping the fire going even though it has been in the 60’s upwards to even 70 degrees because of the damp chill that seems to come when it rains in the winter.

     We have a good bit of fat lighter to get things going which makes my life a whole lot easier because I for one have really never been able to start a good fire, unlike my pyro children. I have always had that problem and end up having someone else start the darn fire for me. We really never seem to have much in way of kindling when I get to build a fire, so I figure it will be good to stock up for it now that we have some warmer winter weather. Whatever we don’t use this winter can always go for the fire pit in the warmer nights outside later. Since I am the one who mows the lawn here it is good to get a jump on cleaning up all the stuff that has broken out of all these old trees we have.

     I did save some kindling from my daughter’s home but I want to make something out of it.  It is birch and I love the look of it. She was ever so glad that I asked to haul the branches all away for her. One of these days I will get around to digging them out and building something really cool but for now they will just have to be in storage. I also have a lovely bunch of straight red bud branches I might just use along with them. I know I might sound a bit crazy but sometimes I have cool visions of beautiful art work I can create so who knows one day this summer I might just have built something I might even sell.

     Anyway this is my k word for this week.
On a short note my Lucy had her kids in the crazy storming weather we have had last night. The pig pen was really muddy and we couldn’t get out there to see how many but my hubby did see two. Since we have both been sick we didn’t want to chance getting stuck in the mud and falling. Hopefully the rains will pass and we can see how many she really had.

No comments:

Post a Comment