Wednesday, January 8, 2020

H day - Honing in on those skills


H day - Honing in on those skills

     What am I talking about? Do you have a skill that you might want to improve on? I Know I do and I thought I might take a good look at the things I need to accomplish this year. I want to learn a lot more about how to be a better homesteader. This to me means I need to set some priorities and stick to them. Things like when I need to start seeds indoors or what exactly will I plant that will benefit the farm. Show I build a few freeze frames to start some seeds. Well, that needs a schedule plan that needs to be set in place. Sure I already know how to garden since I was taught way back when I was a child by my grandparents, but I have a lot to learn about soil and what plants should be planted with others to benefit each other. I have already started my tomato plants indoors because I know I want to put in strong sturdy plants in the spring that will give the best yield. I have also started my garlics in the fall so they will be ready since I know the weather over winter.

     Planning is one of the best ways to get started on any project and maybe a good record system would help go a bit better too. Keeping track of planting times and weather and what should be planted and when. all that is skills to master the best outcome.


     I would like to introduce a small green house into the farms business and I have a few skills in setting up a greenhouse environment as I use to work in one years ago in OHIO. But I still need to know so much more. that is where I need to do some research. The planting times and times the plants need to be in the greenhouse change as the growing season is different in Georgia is not like Ohio. I need to know more about fertilizing and how to build a watering system. There are so many things I can do to hone in on my skills that I already have, I just have to take the time to do the research and it may even take trial and error to prefect the skills I have. I know practice makes perfect and in time I hope I can get it right the first time especially  if I hone my skills first. Now do you need to hone in on any of your skills? There are so many things I can learn not just for the farm but in many other things. I know my Bible study skills are needed a bit of work too and that of all things comes first before my farm.  Time will tell how things will work out if I make the time to sharpen and hone any skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment