Monday, January 20, 2020

R Day -Some of My favorite Recipes

R Day -Some of My favorite Recipes

     I know everyone has a favorite few recipes that they keep close at hand and they always seem to be the go to ones when you are just wanting to feel at home or close to family. I figured that I could share some of my recipes with you. I will start with breakfast.

     French toast
When I make French toast I always seem to use about a dozen eggs because everyone loves my French toast.
I am going to tell you right now that I am a dumper from the start and my hubby hates me for it too. But for this I will give you a guestament of how much on this recipe.

1/8-1/4 teaspoon each; cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
A dash of vanilla
One dozen eggs
Your choice of bread several pieces depending on how many each person eats. I always give a choice of bread to everyone too. We always have wheat bread and I eat rye but my g kids like white bread.
Mix well I use the stick blender to mix mine.
Here is the part I love. I use a pie pan to set my bread in. I let it soak up a lot of egg mixture before I put it into the skillet. I use cast Iron to cook in and I think it is the best way to cook. I use coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pan and it does a great job keeping things from sticking. Make sure you heat the pan well first also. I place two slices in at a time. I brown them enough to make the egg not run. After I turn it I place a bit of butter on the top. Once the bread has toasted I plate them and powder them with powdered sugar. Mine on the other hand I soak until I can barely pick it up out of the pie plate. It is really gooey too. I don’t like for my inner parts of the toast to be dry and I cook it just enough to give the egg just enough to not to be running.
My g kids and my hubby use pancake syrup on theirs but I use brown sugar on mine. Sometime I end up having to add an egg or two just to stretch it out for seconds but usually one dozen eggs covers 12 pieces of bread and my soaking.  I would rather have French toast over pancakes any day, but there are days when I do make them too.

     Here are some other of my recipe for :
pancakes
Makes 6 I always have to double this recipe.
1 Cup milk
1 egg
 2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
I always try to make a change up with this recipe by adding fresh berries or fruit, chocolate or cinnamon and let the G kids guess what I used. I tell them it is my secret recipe.
Mix well all but fruits (I use the stick blender for this one too. Stir in fruits last with spoon. Make sure your skillet is very hot I spray my pan with olive oil this time and I drop just a small drop of mix on pan to make sure it is hot enough.
I use an ice cream scoop to measure out my cakes. I can usually get four in at the same time if I use the biggest skillet. I flip them right when they start golden brown. I put a bit of butter on and they are ready to go.
I don’t know if you like crepes or not but my family does
And that is something I can’t make fast enough. I will post it on a picture of one of my cupboards. And A few others too.

Crepes


Heat up the skillet and add butter to keep crepe from sticking make sure the pan is very hot. I use my smaller skillet for this. Once it pulls away from the pan nicely flip it for just a few seconds. Stack them on a plate when cooked.
When I make crepes I mix up a batch of cottage cheese or ricotta and yogurt and add fresh fruit with a bit of sugar to sweeten, then add to center of it and roll up in the crepes once they are cooked. Then I spread a bit more over the rolled up crepe. My g kids eat them faster than I can make them. But you can make then in advance and refrigerator them unto are ready for them. Reheat in microwave a few seconds to warm up.

     Main meal 

     Popeye 
My grand dad always made us this wonderful fat noodle dish we call popeye but I later found its name to be potpie. It is much like dumplings. He would always save a ham bone to make the broth. He would roll out the dough very thin and cut it into squares about 2x2 inches .When the broth was at a rolling boil he would drop the squares in a few at a time until the pot is full. I always add a bit of cold water mixture of flour to it to make it thick up. Granddad server his over mashed potatoes but that is over kill for us so we just eat it as a meal itself. Here is the recipe
2 eggs and milk enough to fill a 2 cup, cup together.
Salt and (garlic  optional)
4 tablespoons lard (no other option)
Flour – this is something I just add a bit at a time to make a dough.
Roll it thinly as possible I use a pizza cutter to cut my noodles. This is a wonderful meal and it keeps me grounded to my family. I know my great-grandmother passed this one down. Just like she passed down this one.  

     Homemade egg noodles
This recipe is easy too.
 1 cup Flour in a pile with center made into crater.
 2 Eggs add to center of flour
½ teaspoon Salt mix in flour mixture.
Use fork to start mixing egg into flour unto it is well mixed. Roll into ball. Put into refrigerator about  30 minutes in a covered bowl. Split ball in two. Roll onto a well-floured spot, roll some and lift as you roll add flour to keep from sticking. Make the dough ¼ in thick. Cut your noodles. I use the pizza cutter for this too, hang on rack or somewhere where they can dry.  Cook in boiling salted water till firm. You can freeze your noodles too.

I will add a few more pictures of my cupboard doors. Just to show you I keep them close.  
I hope you enjoy some of my family recipes as much as we do.





























 Here is a good quote today.
“Food is the ingredient that binds us together.” Amit Singh

Lastly, I will be adding a scripture a day for now one.

“It is written: ‘Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth.’” Matt. 4:4



No comments:

Post a Comment